How to Get Along with Difficult Coworkers During Internship
While internships cannot be avoided for the graduating students or they won’t be able to get their diploma, it is not really a bad thing at all. In fact, this is included in the requirements because it can bring a lot of benefits to the new graduates. The platform that would be best to look for internships would be Kerija. Check out their website here: https://kerija.my/
Try watching this video first before applying to any internship!
Yes, and this is why a typical intern should try his best to enjoy while at the same time, learn. The focus on internship is to get the hang out of being an employee and to experience being with other coworkers. This is not the same when one is in the classroom where all of them will just have to say yes to their teachers and do the assigned tasks. Here, each of the workers have to work together to become more productive and to become assets to the company.
However, there are really times when one will have to deal with difficult people or those coworkers that are hard to deal with. This should be tough for the interns considering the fact that they are just new to the working environment and even without the interventions of difficult people, they are already having a hard time adjusting to the different time schedules and more rigid work.
So, what should an intern do in case he come across a difficult person? How can he adjust? The following tips might make their working life easier to deal with:
* The best thing to do here is to ignore the said person. An intern should just work as he should be and pretend the person is not around unless he really needs to interact with him. In that case, he can just address him the way others do and with respect. He should not give any hints that he already knows he is known to be difficult. But if by chance that person will really give him troubles, he can ask assistance from the management or ask a regular employee to help him.
* Just be calm. As long as such person is not physically abusive, one should just act normally. He should not in anyway show that he is scared even before he becomes the target of his pranks or rudeness. If the difficult person can see that the intern is just calm like he is not in any way affected his presence, he might just leave him alone, as after all, he is just there in a temporary basis.
* In every act or rude remarks, there are always reasons. It is hardly believable that someone will just want to be difficult just so he will be known for that. The best way to deal with this is to understand why he is acting that way. It could be that there are really reasons why he is becoming difficult. Maybe he is working real hard and the other employees are just taking their work for granted and it affected the work of the said person.
* Talk to another coworker. Being an intern, and who knows nothing at all about the attitudes of the other coworkers, it is best to ask the opinions of those who have been with the difficult person for a long time. Maybe they can offer sound advices. Maybe they will share how they treated the said person and how they are able to work in peace.
* Just try to make the situation lightly. If the difficult person will try to interact with the intern, he can just try to take it lightly so that the mood of the said person will also lighten up, in fact, if he has a funny side, the intern can just try to crack some jokes and maybe, the difficult person will just leave him alone.
* It will always help if one will just be friendly to everyone. If the others will see that one poses no threats at all in any way, there is really no reason for them to be rude or to be difficult with each other. No one can really afford to be outright bad if the other person is good to him, right?
* But if things will really go to worst, the best thing an intern can do is to tell the manager. He does not want for sure that his internship will go haywire when to think, he will just be temporary there. So, might as well let the manager deal with the matter.
* Expect that not everyone will be good to everyone. One will always find someone who is a little bit hard to deal with, even in the most amiable environment. Thus, the best thing to do is just to be nice as after all, an intern can only last for a month or two.
When one is in an environment, harmony is a must to generate the needed results, everyone should really make sure that he knows how to get along with the others, even to those who are hard to deal with. That is also addressed to the interns. Every time you have forced to deal with with difficult person, just stay calm and remember that this internship is important for your future in order to buy the property you’ve been dreaming of since childhood.